Join our Team
We’re Community Energy Plus – Cornwall’s energy advice charity. We help householders, landlords and communities in Cornwall use their energy better to enjoy warmer, energy efficient homes as part of a more sustainable, low carbon future.
Since 1998, we have worked in partnership with a wide range of public, private and third sector organisations to support a variety of innovative projects relating to energy efficiency and renewable energy, including community ownership models.
A principal focus of our activities is to provide practical help, high quality advice and guidance to address issues faced by many householders living in cold, damp, and poorly insulated properties. We aim to help householders out of fuel poverty and reduce the consumption of unnecessary amounts of energy within the household.
We’re working closely with community groups to promote sustainability; the benefits of collective action; and to support established community groups and encourage the development of new community organisations.
We act as an information gateway, providing a reliable and trusted source of information through research, advice and guidance on the full range of energy and sustainability issues.
Office Administrator / Assistant Bookkeeper
We are looking for a friendly, professional, and motivated individual to assist with the daily administration of the charity’s work, working with our Energy Advice team to deliver a range of projects tackling fuel poverty across Cornwall and address the impacts of climate change.
Do you want to develop your administrative and book-keeping skills working with Cornwall’s energy advice agency, in a role that has a real impact? Then this is a role for you.
This role requires someone who has:
- A friendly, efficient, and professional manner.
- The ability to manage a diverse workload and prioritise appropriately.
- An approachable demeanour and the ability to communicate with people of all backgrounds.
- A willingness to be flexible in the tasks undertaken and take a collaborative approach to teamwork.
- Excellent communication & numeracy skills.
- Excellent timekeeping.
Person Specification: Office Administrator / Assistant Bookkeeper
The primary purpose of the role:
- To support Community Energy Plus’ Senior Projects Manager and Chief Executive in the delivery and administration of a range of projects supporting CEP’s clients.
Work with the Senior Projects Manager to provide administrative support across multiple projects, including:
- Data processing; to include appropriate handling of confidential customer information.
- Inputting data into CEP’s customer relation management system.
- Providing assistance to the Energy Advice team.
- Ordering small measures for clients as required.
- General filing, printing, scanning; arranging posting of support materials.
- Ensuring that levels of general office supplies are monitored and maintained.
Working to the direction of our Finance Manager, carry out data entry onto our Sage Cloud50 Accounting software (soon to be transferred to Xero). General bookkeeping activities will include:
- Posting invoices.
- Operating all aspects of the purchase ledger function, including matching invoices to POs & delivery notes, reconciling supplier’s statements.
- Cost allocation to the relevant projects.
- Handling staff expenses requests.
- Reconciling bank accounts and credit card statements.
- Friendly, with excellent interpersonal skills and a sympathetic manner.
- Able to work well in a team.
- Able to remain calm and solution-focused when working to deadlines.
- Methodical, organised, and self-motivated.
- Strong administrative skills with good attention to detail.
- Proactively identify potential issues and offers solutions.
- Clear understanding of data integrity and sensitivity/confidentiality.
For the successful candidate, a Standard DBS check will be required as part of the induction process.
Essential Skills and experience:
- Experience of working in an office environment in an administration role.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage time effectively.
- Supporting multiple colleagues to meet agreed deadlines and targets.
- Providing information accessibly in person, on the phone and by other communication channels.
- A competent user of Microsoft Office, (Word, Excel, Teams, and Outlook). Experience of using bookkeeping software, Sage Cloud50 or Xero is desirable.
Qualifications & knowledge
- Minimum of 5 GCSE grades 9 to 4 (A*to C equivalent) including literacy and numeracy, or substantial work experience.
- Desirable: Administration and/or bookkeeping qualifications – NVQ2 or 3 level preferred.
The Important Details:
Contract: This is a full-time role, but we are open to part-time arrangements for the right individual.
Duration: Initially, a 1-year fixed term contract (3-month probationary period)
Location: Community Energy Plus’ office in the centre of Truro, although some home-based working may be possible for the right candidate following their initial induction.
Salary: £22,956 per year full-time, pro-rata depending on number of hours worked.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
We are keen to fill this position as soon as possible and will make an appointment as soon as we have identified a suitable candidate. Therefore, an early application is recommended.
Application process: Please email your CV and covering letter describing your motivations and suitability for the role, noting the expectations set out in this role description to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include in subject line of your email: Vacancy – Office Administrator and Your Name.